Week 3: Weekly blog

This week, like last week I really got into a habit/ routine of working with the second and fourth graders. I found that I was needed most in those classrooms, and also that I could feel like I was helping the most while there too. Like I said in my daily blogs, I am learning so much, and I feel as though I have gained so much from this experience. For the longest time I have gone back and forth in my mind trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, and this experience of working with kids in classrooms gave me the opportunity to explore something that I may be interested  in pursuing as a career choice. This week I spent time not only working one on one with children focusing on writing, and research, but I also was grading and organizing! I felt so useful, but at the same time felt like I was getting almost a full experience of what it may be like to be a teacher. It made me think a lot about my future, and I had some meaningful conversations with my family, and the teachers I have been working with, about this idea. Last week the art teacher I have been working with was super real with me and told me she did not recommend being a teacher, however after a lot of thought I was able to take that conversation and keep it in my back pocket, but I don’t think it swayed me much. I loved this past week, in the past I had always felt like I was doing something helpful, and the teachers were consistently thanking me, and telling me how much it helped them, but this week I finally felt like I was truly helping/ doing something meaningful, although it was pretty much the same as the past weeks.

One of my goals was to help kids by holding writing workshops, and that is exactly what I did. In fact, it is mostly what I did in the fourth grade classrooms. I was the go-to “teacher” for any kind of question the kids had on their persuasive essays, or on their biography research projects. I think I was given this job, because my goal expressed how much I was willing to help, and that I am a confident writer, but because I went through the exact same process as these kids, I did the exact same projects, and that was something that was so awesome to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog